Mathematics at ASHS follows the curriculum as laid down by the Curriculum Council of WA. The faculty recognises that every student is an individual whose interests vary, but who nevertheless needs and uses mathematics in varying ways. Some have extra talent and interest in mathematics while others' interests lie in different areas. The aim is to encourage students to explore their own interest areas and to enrich and extend themselves through engaging in both the curricular and extra curricular programmes available.
- Engaging with technology, using computers both in the classroom and in computer lab situations, as well as having the hand-held experiences of using the Casio Classpad 330 calculator.
- In year 10, students being able to attend Start Smart Financial Literacy presentations conducted by the Commonwealth Bank.
- Using web sites to which the school subscribes, such as Mathletics and Supermathsworld, where our students have 24/7 access.
- Participating in numerous national competitions including the Australian Mathematics Competition for the Westpac Awards, the Informatics Competition and the Mathematics Challenge for Young Australians.
- Participating in the “Have Sum Fun” online problem solving competition run by the Mathematical Association of Western Australia. This is a group problem solving competition in which teams of four students from Years 8, 9 and 10 compete against other schools answering mathematics questions online.
- Attending the annual Mathematics Games Camp organised by the Mathematics Association of WA for lower school pupils.
- Using the “Reach for the Stars” program, run by the Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers.
- Attending the Mathematics tutorials, held for an hour every Thursday afternoon throughout the year and which have been well supported by both students and staff. Attendance at these free sessions has demonstrated the commitment to learning of both students and staff.
Super maths world
Australian Bureau of Statistics
Students particpated in various Mathematics competitions such as Computational and Algorithmic Thinking Competition.
There are currently no news items